Sunday, March 28, 2010

Abraham’s New Trouble

And Abraham journeyed from thence toward the south country, and dwelled between Kadesh and Shur, and sojourned in Gerar. And Abraham said of Sarah his wife, She is my sister: and Abimelech king of Gerar sent, and took Sarah. But God came to Abimelech in a dream by night, and said to him, Behold, thou art but a dead man, for the woman which thou hast taken; for she is a man’s wife. But Abimelech had not come near her: and he said, Lord, wilt thou slay also a righteous nation? Said he not unto me, She is my sister? and she, even she herself said, He is my brother: in the integrity of my heart and innocency of my hands have I done this. And God said unto him in a dream, Yea, I know that thou didst this in the integrity of thy heart; for I also withheld thee from sinning against me: therefore suffered I thee not to touch her. Now therefore restore the man his wife; for he is a prophet, and he shall pray for thee, and thou shalt live: and if thou restore her not, know thou that thou shalt surely die, thou, and all that are thine. Genesis 20:1-7

Steps 4, 5, 10, 11, 12

Abraham traveled south with his family. He arrives at a place called Gerar. He decides that Sarah is so beautiful that he will be killed if the people find out that she is his wife. Technically, and literally, Sarah is his half sister so Abraham tells everyone that she is his sister, thus showing a lack of faith that God would protect him and his family. The king of Gerar, Abimilech, takes Sarah to be his wife. God comes to protect her and Abraham and warns Abimilech that he needs to return to the woman to her husband. God states that He protected Abimilech from the sin of adultery and theft. God identifies Abraham as a prophet and protected of God.

Prayer for Today: God You know how many mistakes we have made by not understanding a spiritual situation. Please help us to know Your will and be willing to change as You guide us. Help us also to learn from Abraham’s mistakes and be willing to trust You in all things. Thank You for Your patience with us, help us to be patient with us as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment