Monday, December 27, 2010

Peter’s Amends

So when they had dined, Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me more than these? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my lambs. He saith to him again the second time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my sheep. He saith unto him the third time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he said unto him the third time, Lovest thou me? And he said unto him, Lord, thou knowest all things; thou knowest that I love thee. Jesus saith unto him, Feed my sheep. Verily, verily, I say unto thee, When thou wast young, thou girdest thyself, and walkedst whither thou wouldest: but when thou shalt be old, thou shalt stretch forth thy hands, and another shall gird thee, and carry thee whither thou wouldest not. This spake he, signifying by what death he should glorify God. And when he had spoken this, he saith unto him, Follow me. John 21:15-19

Steps: 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12

Peter had denied Jesus three times just prior to Jesus death on Calvary. Now God is addressing Peter on this point for Peter’s sake – to know that He is forgiven as well as the disciple’s sake to know that God doesn’t forget issues and sweep them under the rug. God wanted His disciples to be united and completely settled on each other as well as being settled on Jesus Himself. To ignore Peter’s behaviors would have left an open door of potential misunderstanding between the brothers in the church and God wanted that door closed. Jesus wanted all of His disciples to trust one another and to be able to work efficiently with one another. God, as always, ties up every loose end to accomplish His will.

Prayer for Today: God, we acknowledge that You know all about us, every dirty secret, every sin, every addictive behavior or process. Help us to recognize that You will not forget any problem that we have and You want every single thing addressed and addressed thoroughly. Help us to learn to trust Your perspective and Your knowledge of our lives and thinking. Help us to remember that our recovery depends on how thoroughly you care for us and our defects. Thank You for this story about Peter to know that You don’t want to harm us or get rid of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment