Monday, February 14, 2011

Paul Prepares for Death in Rome

I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom; Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all long suffering and doctrine.
For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables. But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry. For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand. I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:
Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing. II Timothy 4:1-8

Steps: 11, 12

Paul has lived a good life and has served His Lord well. He has been a blessing to all with whom he has come into contact with. Now that he has spoken to all the people that God has sent him to speak to Paul himself says that he is ready "to depart". He reports that he has fought a good fight and he has finished his activities, and he is now ready to receive that crown that will be given to him on the resurrection day. We don't have a lot of the details of how he died but there is a good presentation at the following address -
http://www.whiteestate.org/books/aa/aa50.html. Paul did his job well and he died so that we could see how an ordinary man could follow Jesus.

Prayer for Today: Dear Lord, help us to be as steady and faithful as Paul was. You know what needs to happen for us and we ask that You will accomplish these mighty things in us as well. Thank You for these wonderful promises of service.

No comments:

Post a Comment