Monday, February 1, 2010

The Sons of God and the Daughters of Men

And it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born unto them, that the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they too them wives of all which they chose…There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown. Genesis 6:1,2,4

Steps 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 9, 10, 11

In this section of Scripture, time continues on toward the time of the flood. The Scripture says that the sons of God, those mentioned in Genesis 4:26, the followers of God, saw that the daughters of me, those who followed in the footsteps of Cain, were attractive, or fair. The sons of God decided that marrying these women would be a good idea because they were beautiful. God has always frowned on marrying outside of recovery, for as soon as one does that then the potentiality of relapse grows greater. Sure enough the results of the marriages between the followers of God and the followers of Cain, or rebels (fallen ones) against God, resulted in more rebellion and more problems for mankind. People tend to lower their standards to keep harmony in the home. So when one marries someone who has equal or greater addiction patterns we almost never lift the moral standard but almost always sink to the level of mutual addiction. The term giant in this text can also be translated as a bully or a tyrant, not a good plan for our children.

Prayer for Today: God You know whom I want to marry and whom I should marry. I pray today that my desires for sex will not override my relationship with You. Help me to pick the right partner to maintain my recovery and not to undermine my recovery. You know the right partner for me, help me to surrender to you, for their benefit, my benefit, and for our benefit. Thank You for standing by me to help me even in my relationship areas.

No comments:

Post a Comment