Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The First Addiction Related Religious Murder

And Cain talked with Abel his brother: and it came to pass, when they were in the field, that Cain rose up against Abel his brother, and slew him. Genesis 4:8

Steps 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Cain decided to talk to Abel about the differences between his worship and his brother’s worship. Cain continued to be upset that God accepted Abel’s sacrifice and rejected his. This discussion was basically about two religious styles of worship, one of which God accepted, and the other one rejected. This started the first religious war and there was a casualty in this war. Cain, feeling guilty, decided to put an end to the discussion and he killed his very own brother. This kind of murder is not exceptional in our day, but this story was the first murder of a human being on earth. This was such unusual behavior that God chose to record it in His Bible so that we could learn from it.

Prayer for Today: God you know that on a bad day I am capable of most anything, especially if it is related to my addictive behaviors. Often I have murder in my heart and I do not like to see it, but today I admit that it is there. Help me to receive Your help before I act out my ugly thinking. I accept today that I often act like Cain but I want to act like Abel but can not do it without Your help. Thank You for hearing me and helping me.

No comments:

Post a Comment