Saturday, May 29, 2010

Jesus Claims to Be the I Am of Exodus 3

"Surely You are not greater than our father Abraham, who died? The prophets died too; whom do You make Yourself out to be?" Jesus answered, "If I glorify Myself, My glory is nothing; it is My Father who glorifies Me, of whom you say, ‘He is our God’; and you have not come to know Him, but I know Him; and if I say that I do not know Him, I shall be a liar like you, but I do know Him, and keep His word. "Your father Abraham rejoiced to see My day, and he saw it and was glad." The Jews therefore said to Him, "You are not yet fifty years old, and have You seen Abraham?" Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I am." Therefore they picked up stones to throw at Him; but Jesus hid Himself, and went out of the temple. John 8:53-59

Steps: 4, 5, 11, 12

Jesus claims to have been alive before Abraham and that when Abraham saw the days of Jesus he rejoiced. When the Jews, of Jesus time heard this, they were appalled because to claim this one would have to be God, and here they were looking and interacting with a man. Then Jesus claimed that before Abraham was born He existed as the I Am, the same name the God applied to Himself in the time of Moses. The Jews reacted to this statement by picking up stones to stone Jesus for claiming to be God, when in fact, He was God.

Prayer for Today: It is difficult for us as well to believe that You came to Earth as a man. This idea is staggering all by itself. Now You claim to want to help us, another staggering idea. We pray that You will grant us the faith necessary to accept some of the ideas You have presented in Your Bible. These are pretty big concepts and we pray for Your help to be able to accept these ideas. Thank You for revealing these truths to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment